Preparing for a Garage Sale
Gathering your Items & Clearing your clutter
- Go through each room with a garbage bag for items you will toss
- Start each room by going through each drawer and cupboard
- Check clothing sizes if you have kids, anything too small toss
- Anything not used for 1 year toss
- Anything that does not bring you joy toss
- Repeat for each room
Prepare an Inventory
- After clearing your clutter and gathering all items make a list of all your items
- List items with original price, for clothing and shoes note size and age of the item
- Label each item with your name using masking tape on tags or underneath items like shoes or appliances
Clean & Repair all Items
- Have all items like toys or appliances cleaned thoroughly
- Make sure all electronics work
- Any needed repairs should be completed.
- Spin Dry clothing using softener sheets for 20 minutes to freshen them up and take out the wrinkles
- Hang clothing straight from the dryer to prevent wrinkling
Price Items (20 – 30% 0f Original Cost)
- This is a Garage Sale and the purpose is to declutter your home and make some extra cash
- With your original price in mind, if you cannot recall try amazon or ebay, calculate the selling price using 20 -30% of the original price as a guide.
- Clothing is a lot harder to sell because most times they may be the current fashion trend so you may want to label clothing at 15 – 20% of the original cost. If the clothing is new try 25 – 30% original cost.
- If items may need repair or are aged you may want to consider 10% original cost.
Pack and Store Items
- Once you have completed your purging, labelling, inventory, cleaning, repairs and pricing, you will want to pack these items in boxes, suitcases, or in a room not used regularly until the day before the Yard Sale.